Thursday, May 26, 2005

Making the Right Decision for the right reason$

Yesterday, Bill Uniack and I went through a gut-wrenching conversation (at least on my part) with a prospect who, in the end, decided not to choose Horizon. I say gut-wrenching because we had come up with a solution that would have worked but it was simply not economical for a smaller fleet.

I feel for Bill because as a sales team, we always want to "get the sale" and bring a new customer on board but the fact is, one product does not suit every person - even with a product as customizable and configurable as Horizon.

The conversation wasn't a nasty one and I felt ended on a very positive note. We want advocate customers, I want the best solutions for our customers, our partners and if we can't provide that, I want to at least put them on the right path, be it with some ideas for managing their business with a spreadsheet or other software that will suit their needs. In this case, it was particularly troubling because there simply isn't software (at least available today) to do what they wanted to accomplish. As the prospect said = "we're very specialized - there aren't many people who do what we do."

Still, after working with so many of our customers on providing them with custom solutions that DO work for them using the Horizon trucking software (tanker operations, mail carrier and more), I'm disappointed we couldn't make it work.

It may happen with our new product that will be revealed later this year but I can't give out more details until a bit later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home